• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This is a problem that applies to other races, too. Goblin Rogues get the redundancy of Nimble Escape giving most of what Cunning Action gives. There are subclasses that give resistance to damage types that could be redundant based on which race you chose, so you're incentivized to choose a race that doesn't thematically match your subclass. There are like 7 different ways to get telepathy that all work differently and don't synergize with each other.

The inner powergamer in me is always annoyed at these. Because being an Aasimar Celestial Warlock would be cool, but I don't like that both the race and subclass give Radiant resistance. Same with stuff like Triton and Fathomless Warlocks, most Genasi and their corresponding Genie Warlock patrons, most psionic races and Aberrant Mind Sorcerers, and so on. I wish that 5e gave additional benefits when stuff like this comes up.
This is definitely a "talk with your GM" situation to me. I'm sure some alternative could be determined that would avoid the redundancy.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
This is definitely a "talk with your GM" situation to me. I'm sure some alternative could be determined that would avoid the redundancy.
As a DM, I’d definitely find a way to remedy this problem if it comes up in the campaign. But I wish WotC had done a better job of designing race and subclass abilities to avoid this issue and reward thematic synergy.

I'd be happy to offer that player alternatives where they stop power gaming and just play what they think is cool
It is not cool if you have abilities that are completely redundand. That is not powergaming.

Hey you are a goblin and you have those cool abilites... but you would get those anyway by being a rogue.

For the mountain dwarf, it was always: hey you get armor proficiency in medium armor, but you also get +2 str instead of +1. So chances are very big, that you profit from one of the two abilities.

Maybe it would have been better for mountain dwarf to chose between medium armor proficiency or +1 more str, so this tradeoff is clear.

For the goblin I would expect the same: even if the alternate ability is just some skill or tool proficiency. Or a sneak attack damage increase of +1d6.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Hmm, I haven't given much thought to the goblin rogue problem before... but what about giving them Mobile?

The disengage from enemies who you attack isn't super useful for the rogue unless they are dual-wielding, and with Nick it is even less useful. So it is a minor disengage benefit coupled with a +10 ft move bonus. Feels about right for a replacement to cunning action

Remove ads

Remove ads