• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starfinder What Starfinder stuff should I grab after Christmas?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm not a huge Pathfinder fan, but after my brush with Spelljammer 5e, it seems like Starfinder is definitely the way to go for "D&D in space" with more publisher support than a single (pretty railroaded) campaign (and better support for creating your own adventures). So...

I already own the core book, core book pawn collection, and the GM screen. I'm thinking of picking up the first Alien Archive and the Beginner Box. What other books should I pick up (assuming I'll have some extra scratch after Christmas)?

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
As someone who just started collecting Starfinder a couple months ago...
I don't find the Beginner Box so great. The rules are way stripped down and may prove a confusing transition to the full game (in ways the Pathfinder boxes were not). But just my opinion.
I liked the campaign book of the Pact Worlds. The Armory has useful equipment. The Operations Manual has some cool new classes.
I haven't seen Unchained yet, but theoretically it has new options and revised starship combat, if that's something you want.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Oh! That's good info on the Beginner Box. I might just buy some of the flip mats separately, then. And Pact Worlds seems like a must have upon further investigation. Thank you for the tips!

As someone who just started collecting Starfinder a couple months ago...
I don't find the Beginner Box so great. The rules are way stripped down and may prove a confusing transition to the full game (in ways the Pathfinder boxes were not). But just my opinion.
I liked the campaign book of the Pact Worlds. The Armory has useful equipment. The Operations Manual has some cool new classes.
I haven't seen Unchained yet, but theoretically it has new options and revised starship combat, if that's something you want.
Do you think the Pact Worlds book would be a good pickup just to read? I’m interested in Starfinder, but not sure I’ll really have time to get into it since I already have 2 games I run.

Retreater

Legend
Do you think the Pact Worlds book would be a good pickup just to read? I’m interested in Starfinder, but not sure I’ll really have time to get into it since I already have 2 games I run.
I thought it was interesting world building. It's also not on Archives of Nethys and will likely be mostly backwards compatible with the new edition.

I thought it was interesting world building. It's also not on Archives of Nethys and will likely be mostly backwards compatible with the new edition.
That's what I was thinking. I also just noticed I apparently have the PDF from a Humble Bundle. I should probably starting checking my PDFs more often to see what I already have.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I ended up putting Dead Suns on my wish list, as well as Drift Crisis and the accompanying flip mat. Also, Pact Worlds and Near Space. And a friend picked me up the Alien Archive as a Yule gift. I think that seems like a pretty solid place to start. What say you?

Remove ads