• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Thomas Shey

Legend
Is there an adjective for describing a case where a person totally missed they were hearing sarcasm and hyperbole?

Dunno, but I've seen it a fair bit (even been the culprit a bit).

Though I'm not sure sarcasm and hyperbole are always the same thing; I've seen people use hyperbole on here with an apparent straight face.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I would also say oblivious, however, if this was in text, rather than spoken, then most people can be at least somewhat forgiven for missing such nuance. Text is a terrible way to convey sarcasm, and hyperbole can be considered someone's actual opinion, on most internet based services.

Especially since sometimes over time it becomes clear that it is their actual opinion, and when not, they sometimes think repeated use of the same hyperbole is appropriate.

Ryujin

Legend
Especially since sometimes over time it becomes clear that it is their actual opinion, and when not, they sometimes think repeated use of the same hyperbole is appropriate.
And then there are the people who always seem to think that in order to debate someone over to their way of thinking, they have to state an opinion that's even further to the other side than they want agreement to. They think that they're haggling the price in a market in Marrakesh, not arguing a point of fact or opinion.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I hate when you get sucked into a stupid argument and end up being stupid yourself. And by "you," I mean "me."

You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Is there an adjective for describing a case where a person totally missed they were hearing sarcasm and hyperbole?
I'm sure the Germans have a word.

(The "Germans have a word" meme is kind of wrong, though, and based on a misunderstanding of how German works: They love smashing words together to make new words. Even simple stuff like "glove" in English is "hand shoe" in German. So "they have a word" in the sense that they smash together a bunch of shorter words to describe a thing and move on. It's the linguistic equivalent of Lego.)

Remove ads