• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I've had a much different experience DM'ing 3.5e. Maybe it's because I know the rules by heart and most of the quibbles with it can be addressed by plugging in Pathfinder changes. I dunno, but I like how it scales a lot better than 5e does, and I love the plethora of options for it.
It clearly worked well for a lot of people, and continues to do so for many! I don’t mean to yuck anyone’s yum, if anything I wish I was one of the folks it works for. But it just doesn’t for me, and not for lack of trying.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Funny how different people feel about this, but this is both art AND fandom so folks are gonna be quite opinionated about it.
Ben Milton of Questing Beast posted something pretty critical of it 😆
1000014039.png

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I am sure the target audience of 12 year olds will process the art choices on this as familiar and alluring. However, the art style is so 2024 that it may date very quickly. On the other hand, there is no reason that they can't just add some errata and slap a new cover on it for the Refreshed Revised PHB in five years.
At 58 (just past halfway to 59 by a week or two), I must be one of the oldest 12-year-olds now alive. Neat! I do read it as both alluring - this is another portrayal like the wizard class art that shows magic being worked in a way I really like and am glad to imagine my characters doing - and familiar. It seems like an amalgam of influences from ‘70s comics and prose, the stuff I was thriving on while discovering D&D, through to work I look forward to reading this year. It makes me happy to look at.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
They were also in AC1 The Shady Dragon Inn.
They are also mentioned in X10: Red Arrow, Black Shield.
X10: Red Arrow Black Shield said:
The current monarchs of Ierendi are the elderly King Strongheart and Queen Mercion, whose quest for the fabled Heartstone is legendary. Their court consists of other famous adventurers, their companions during many years of questing, including the dwarf Elkhorn, and wizard Ringleron, the elf Peralay, and the halfling Figgen, all of whom are now in retirement.

Remove ads

Remove ads