• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Convince me that the Ranger is a necessary Class.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
LOTR Aragorn is not a Ranger.
I'm looking at the original Ranger as published in The Strategic Review issue 2, where it first appeared.

It's is quite obviously inspired by the character who went by the very name "Ranger"

Expert at tracking, only allowed the gear that can be carried, always Lawful, difficult to surprise, use of clairvoyance devices, gains hobbits as followers.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
one of the big conceptual cornerstones of the ranger that i think people often overlook is how much of a survivalist they are, sure they're often recognised as 'explorers' but that's not quite the same thing, a rogue might be more skillful and a fighter tougher but drop a rogue or a fighter into the wild with nothing but the clothes on their back and they might survive but not in the way a ranger would thrive, they possess a certain combination of abilities that make them very adaptable to surviving most any situation they find themselves in.

aco175

Legend
1716054208758.png

1716054230397.png

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Arguably, the only classes that are truly necessary are fighter and magic user. The question one has to answer is why have more classes? In D&D, the answer is mostly “because a previous edition had it,” and if you follow that chain back far enough, you hit the bedrock of “because someone in Gary and/or Dave’s game wanted to play a media reference that the existing classes didn’t express well.” Clerics exist because the wizard didn’t do a good enough Hammer Horror VanHelsing impression. Rogues exist because the fighter didn’t do a good enough Grey Mouser impression. Paladins exist because fighters and clerics didn’t do a good enough Roland impression. And rangers exist because fighters and rogues didn’t do a good enough Aragorn impression.

Do we still need those classes? Not necessarily. Do they expand the range of characters players can easily express? Yes.

niklinna

satisfied?
Ranger and Rogue fullfill the same niche that I have had legendary game designers argue that Robin Hood is a rogue.

If the paragon of ranger is not your class, it is extraneous.

Rogue now covers the skirmisher concept so I would be okay of folding the ranger abilities into it and the stereotypes as sub classes.

Then again my favorite ranger was the 4e version, because i have always preferred the deepwoods sniper version for my rangers.

So I'm asking.

Is the Ranger a necessary Class?
Necessary—for who and for what?

If you don't want or need a ranger class, then great for you. We're not playing together so I don't need to convince you of anything.

grimmgoose

Adventurer
I'm looking at the original Ranger as published in The Strategic Review issue 2, where it first appeared.

It's is quite obviously inspired by the character who went by the very name "Ranger"

Expert at tracking, only allowed the gear that can be carried, always Lawful, difficult to surprise, use of clairvoyance devices, gains hobbits as followers.
That might have been the case in the 70s, but near 50 years later, 5E's ranger is not even in the same ballpark as Aragorn. The only similarity is the title "ranger".

Remove ads