• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The promise of 75 feats announced in the Gameinformer Magazine feature sounds promising, but I'm not sure it actually represents a big step forward. Let's tally what we've seen. (In some ways this is an update of the survey I did on feats post-Playtest 7, last September.)

Level 1 Feats:
10 Level-1 feats in PT 1 and 2.
5 feats without ASI in Tasha's.
6 Fighting styles in PT 6, framed as feats.

Level 4 feats:
1 ASI, framed as a feat.
29 feats with a +1 ASI in the playtest materials.
10 feats with a +1 ASI in Tasha's.

Epic feats: considered, but then removed.

So if the feats from Tashas were all brought into the game (in a revised form or not), and including fighting styles, we have good reason to believe we've seen 61 of the 75 feats.

Of the remaining 14:
  • There are at least 5 fighting styles that could be added from Tasha's. These include unarmed and thrown weapons, which I'd really like to see included. If these were in, we'd really be looking at only 9 things we've not seen.
  • As I noted before, there are three feats in the 2014 PHB we've not seen versions of yet: Dungeon Delver, Linguist, Martial Adept. Possibly that's three more.
  • There could be species-specific feats, like what we saw in Xanathar's. I hope there aren't, but it's a possibility.

Of course I don't know whether everything from Tasha's will be included, but if it were (and I think it's a fair guess), then the amount of new feats may increase slightly, but not a lot.

All that's to say, 75 feats sounds like a lot, but I am not actually sure it will make as big a difference as it might have done.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
problem is still the balance.

What is 1st level feat worth?

are they full feats or half feats without +1 ASI,
would you feel cheated if you take 1st level feat at 4th level without +1 ASI or is it good for 4th level as well as 1st?

Why is there a limit of no +1 ASI for 1st level feat?
Is 18 at 1st level so much overpowered?

would there be an option to take 2 feats without ASI's together instead of one feat with +1 ASI?

why in seven hells are feats and ASI's still in shared resource pool?

why is Fighting style feat a full feat when it's barely worth half a feat?

will we get more feats like Telekinetic that can be used in all pillars of play and not be overpowered and have great flavor?

Horwath

Legend
Sorry but this - at least the thread title - comes across as incredibly unaware of the fact that for a sizeable slice of the customer base, more rules can be seen as a bad thing.
they can always get 3 options to take:

+2 ASI
+3 skills(wow, such a bad feat)
+2 HP per level(not as bad feat, semi-bad, but, wow, so boring)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Sorry but this - at least the thread title - comes across as incredibly unaware of the fact that for a sizeable slice of the customer base, more rules can be seen as a bad thing.
Personally, I think the size of that allegedly-sizable slice is rather overblown.

Especially because 5e has quite handily proven that "less is more" is only true when you actually do more with that lessened set. In the absence of the secret, additional assumption--that you can do at least as much as you could before--it turns out that less really is less. And there's definitely a sizable portion of the fanbase that would like to see SOME more crunch.

Are you ready to duel anecdotes now?

Horwath

Legend
Personally, I think the size of that allegedly-sizable slice is rather overblown.

Especially because 5e has quite handily proven that "less is more" is only true when you actually do more with that lessened set. In the absence of the secret, additional assumption--that you can do at least as much as you could before--it turns out that less really is less. And there's definitely a sizable portion of the fanbase that would like to see SOME more crunch.

Are you ready to duel anecdotes now?
this,
I have never seen a player not take a feat at 4th level.

An no feat default is so "popular" that after 2nd campaign of 5E we added bonus feat at 1st level for everyone.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
problem is still the balance.

What is 1st level feat worth?

are they full feats or half feats without +1 ASI,
would you feel cheated if you take 1st level feat at 4th level without +1 ASI or is it good for 4th level as well as 1st?

Why is there a limit of no +1 ASI for 1st level feat?
Is 18 at 1st level so much overpowered?

would there be an option to take 2 feats without ASI's together instead of one feat with +1 ASI?

why in seven hells are feats and ASI's still in shared resource pool?

why is Fighting style feat a full feat when it's barely worth half a feat?

will we get more feats like Telekinetic that can be used in all pillars of play and not be overpowered and have great flavor?
IMO, 1st-level feats should be just as good as general (aka "4th level") feats, unless they're very specifically part of a feat chain, which I believe WotC mostly wants to avoid. Specifying "no feats that provide stat bonuses" seems perfectly cromulent; if folks want that they can play humans or Custom Lineage. The simple reason to say no to 18s at 1st level is that if you allow that, there's a huge pressure for everyone to go for that instead of anything actually interesting. The whole point of a baked-in 1st level feat is to get people actually using feats.

Horwath

Legend
IMO, 1st-level feats should be just as good as general (aka "4th level") feats, unless they're very specifically part of a feat chain, which I believe WotC mostly wants to avoid. Specifying "no feats that provide stat bonuses" seems perfectly cromulent; if folks want that they can play humans or Custom Lineage. The simple reason to say no to 18s at 1st level is that if you allow that, there's a huge pressure for everyone to go for that instead of anything actually interesting. The whole point of a baked-in 1st level feat is to get people actually using feats.
maybe option of getting 2 feats at 1st level without ASI could be a good solution if WotC is so dreaded about 18 primary at 1st level?

Remove ads