• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General 5E, A5E, or ToV?

Which one?

• I am familiar with all three: 5E

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I am familiar with all three: A5E

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I am familiar with all three: ToV

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I am not familiar with all three

Votes: 40 45.5%

Quickleaf

Legend
What do you like about the 2024 5e spells over the 2014 or A5e versions?
Guidance is an example that springs to mind.

A5E Guidance is concentration for a minute, then affected creature gains an expertise die which once they use (before or after a check) the spell ends.

2014 WotC 5e Guidance works much the same way, except its a d4.

2024 Guidance is a reaction spell that adds to a failed check. This has two effects I like alot:
1) it flows better narratively with less need for pausing and preemptively casting guidance
2) less spamming guidance by default, and making casting more responsive to situations

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Guidance is an example that springs to mind.

A5E Guidance is concentration for a minute, then affected creature gains an expertise die which once they use (before or after a check) the spell ends.

2014 WotC 5e Guidance works much the same way, except its a d4.

2024 Guidance is a reaction spell that adds to a failed check. This has two effects I like alot:
1) it flows better narratively with less need for pausing and preemptively casting guidance
2) less spamming guidance by default, and making casting more responsive to situations
1 is definitely a good point! I really don't know much about the 5e 2024 spell changes so I'm eager to hear about them. But 2, 99% of guidance usage is out of combat, reactions aren't going to affect spamming are they?

Stormonu

Legend
I know 5E pretty well now, I’ve paged through A5E, and I haven’t seen anything for Tales of the Valiant.

With the 2014 version coming to an end, I’ve decided to hack my own version of 5E to twist it into what I want to see ( more options, but at the same time trying to cut back on the plentiful amount of magic while just worrying about 1st-10th level and leaving everything higher for building NPCs & enemies).

Waller

Legend
I don't think it's that they prefer 5e while being familiar with A5e. It could be that there might not be many tables that are actively playing A5e out there compared to 5e.
That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. I'm interested in the merits, not the popularity.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I voted that I am not familiar with all 3 but I have looked them over somewhat. A5E from my look is a little too crunchy and in a way that I feel adds little.
Tales of the Valiant on the other hand is too similar for me. That said, it is the one that I would most likely accept imports from if a player wanted to do that. I would have to sit down and study the rules properly before doing it but it on first glance it could be a thing.

GothmogIV

Explorer
Adventures in Middle-Earth is/was the proto-ground work for C7D20 and their take on the mechanics of 5E. (Examples specifically being the Journey rules and Downtime).
So my group just finished a Adventures in Middle Earth campaign, and it is very, very different than standard 5e (beyond just the Journey and Downtime rules). The classes are significantly limited and weakened (fewer bonus actions/reactions), and there is little to no magic available to the PCs. The system itself is the same for combat, task resolution (like skill checks), etc. but it's a significantly bare-bones expression of 5e.

We all loved it! If you think 5e is a bit too...let's say generous to players with regards to their characters and their abilities, definitely check this out. Plus: Middle Earth. Awesome.

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. I'm interested in the merits, not the popularity.
I prefer A5e over 5e because it adds an additional layer of customization to just about everything in 5e IMO. In 5e, you have Race/Subrace, Background and Class/Subclass. A5e otoh has Heritage, Culture, Background, Destiny, Class and Class Archetype. And with regards to Class, A5e Classes have more options to choose from in addition to the Class Archetype, so you don't feel like you have to multiclass in order to get something at every level. But if you do decide to multiclass, you have the synergy feat chains to give you something that makes up for one of the downsides to multiclassing. The pushback of certain class features to a later level.

As for 5e, it's okay. But I haven't invested much into it. I have a few 5e books, mostly it's Monster Manuals. I don't own it's PHB. Any 5e PHB info I want to look up comes straight from 5ewikidot.com or D&D Beyond. As for A5e, I have it's Adventurer's Guide, Monstrous Menagerie 1, it's 2022 GPG Annual and several related 3pp material (Paranormal Power, MoAR: Complete, The Multiclasser Manual Vol. 1). I am waiting to get my copy of the 2023 GPG Annual. :)

TiQuinn

Has anyone at this point done a comparison of the ToV rules versus 5e that highlights the changes and overall design differences?

Remove ads