• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers X-Men '97 spoilers

WayneLigon

Adventurer
But again, mutant in the MU aren't alone in this regard. As I've commented before, why is Bobby Drake a problem but Johnny Storm isn't?
It took a unique one-in-a-billion accident of science to produce Johnny Storm. Bobby just had to be born. People like Johnny Storm will not replace the human race. Mutants like Bobby will. That is the point people like Stryker and Trask are operating off of.

Thomas Shey

Legend
It took a unique one-in-a-billion accident of science to produce Johnny Storm. Bobby just had to be born. People like Johnny Storm will not replace the human race. Mutants like Bobby will. That is the point people like Stryker and Trask are operating off of.

But the thing is, anything about Bobby that should worry you isn't generic either. How many other ice powered mutants are there? By evidence, not many. The fact Bobby worries you don't mean Warren should.

Hussar

Legend
But the thing is, anything about Bobby that should worry you isn't generic either. How many other ice powered mutants are there? By evidence, not many. The fact Bobby worries you don't mean Warren should.

Because it’s fiction and Fantastic Four deals with different themes than x-men?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Because it’s fiction and Fantastic Four deals with different themes than x-men?

And that, of course, is the answer, but it can also make the X-books look like the belong in a different universe than the rest of the Marvel books for that reason. Which, of course, there have been periods where that's effectively how they were treated.

Stalker0

Legend
And that, of course, is the answer, but it can also make the X-books look like the belong in a different universe than the rest of the Marvel books for that reason. Which, of course, there have been periods where that's effectively how they were treated.
Yeah ultimately I feel like the best way to use the multiverse concept for the modern audience would be to allow for one superhero "club" per multiverse. Xmen in one universe, FF in another, avengers in a third.

That narratively solves so many problems, lets you cross the streams when you want the big crossovers, but keeps the stories all tidy and separate most of the time. Then its "why don't people freak out at the Fantastic Four?"..... because in their multiverse people are cool with it, but if they went to the Xmen universe everyone would assume they were mutants and start freaking out.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah ultimately I feel like the best way to use the multiverse concept for the modern audience would be to allow for one superhero "club" per multiverse. Xmen in one universe, FF in another, avengers in a third.

That narratively solves so many problems, lets you cross the streams when you want the big crossovers, but keeps the stories all tidy and separate most of the time. Then its "why don't people freak out at the Fantastic Four?"..... because in their multiverse people are cool with it, but if they went to the Xmen universe everyone would assume they were mutants and start freaking out.

There's something to that, but it tends to be far more severe with the X-Men/mutants than most other groups and origins (though I gather at one point Problems with Aliens became a thing, too).

Reynard

Legend
I think there is something to the idea that the X-Men often are dealing specifically with mutant problems. They will save human while doing so, but their focus is the mutant element. So regular humans will still feel suspicious toward them. "Where were you when the hulk was rampaging?" "The Hulk is not a mutant, not our problem" is not going to endear them to normal people. Plus, there is a lot of propaganda lifting up the Avengers and FF, and stepping down on mutants.

I'm sure we can all think of some parallels in the modern real world.

I think there is something to the idea that the X-Men often are dealing specifically with mutant problems. They will save human while doing so, but their focus is the mutant element. So regular humans will still feel suspicious toward them. "Where were you when the hulk was rampaging?" "The Hulk is not a mutant, not our problem" is not going to endear them to normal people. Plus, there is a lot of propaganda lifting up the Avengers and FF, and stepping down on mutants.
There was a panel in the x-men tie in for Civil War when one of the sides approaches the mansion about the registration act and the character points out that the other heroes just stood by when it came to registration for only mutants before telling the guy to naughty word off.

Remove ads