• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D memes thread discussion…

The fact that you think D&D monsters were illustrated in color in the old days shows how young you are. This is your daddy's dretch, kid.
dretch-1st-edition.jpg

Better, but still not the OG Beholder. :)
1st-ed-beholder.jpg

Also, Seth Skorkowsky's true origin of the beholder is a priceless work of art.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
That may have been a color dretch illo, but the image on the right is Orcus. The meme is referring to how he worked his way up from the lowest ranks of demons to one of the most powerful of all the demon lords.

That may have been a color dretch illo, but the image on the right is Orcus. The meme is referring to how he worked his way up from the lowest ranks of demons to one of the most powerful of all the demon lords.
I couldn't even make the art out, it's so dark. Something wrong with the 4E MM cover instead? At least you can see Tubbs in all his glory in that one. :)

Necropolitan

Adventurer
My point was Orcus having started out as a Mane. I don't know why anyone would think I was commenting on the art.

I couldn't even make the art out, it's so dark. Something wrong with the 4E MM cover instead? At least you can see Tubbs in all his glory in that one. :)
Those images were both from the 3.5 Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss.

My point was Orcus having started out as a Mane. I don't know why anyone would think I was commenting on the art.
Because the second image could have been anything as far as I knew (I still can't see an Orcus in that shadowy mess) and the exact same meme template was used to compare old versus new art in the very next post.

Heck, if you want Orcus, this is Orcus:
101_7029.jpg

Sculpts over drawings, every time.

Necropolitan

Adventurer
Because the second image could have been anything as far as I knew (I still can't see an Orcus in that shadowy mess) and the exact same meme template was used to compare old versus new art in the very next post.

Heck, if you want Orcus, this is Orcus:
101_7029.jpg

Sculpts over drawings, every time.
Nobody except you had any difficulty telling what the joke was.
And I can't control who posts after me.

niklinna

satisfied?
Nobody except you had any difficulty telling what the joke was.
And I can't control who posts after me.
Well. I didn't get the first one. Particularly with the "Feel old yet?" caption. The two images didn't seem all that related, and were clearly not renditions of the same monster. So I did an image search on them, found it was a Mane (and not even the oldest illustration of one), and Orcus. At first I figured someone just messed up and used the wrong image for one or the other. And then I thought briefly how maybe it had something to do with Orcus once having been a Mane, but that really didn't seem likely based on what I remember from monster lore. And the "Feel old yet?" caption then made even less sense, especially considering demons are like eternal and stuff. So I dunno.

The beholder one doesn't make any sense to me either. Sure the first one looks kinda derpy, but if the point is just to diss someone for being old enough to remember when something came out, then I dunno. I wouldn't want to run into either version of a beholder in any case.

Sometimes I think there should be a "huh?" reaction to choose. Or maybe "wat." ("wat." uses a period and not a question mark don't you know.)

Voadam

Legend
Interpretation of art is in the eye of the Beholder, I like the interpretation that the lowly dretch in the first picture has over thousands of years made it up to the rank of naked support thrall in Orcus's throne. :)

niklinna

satisfied?
Interpretation of art is in the eye of the Beholder, I like the interpretation that the lowly dretch in the first picture has over thousands of years made it up to the rank of naked support thrall in Orcus's throne. :)
Oh wow I didn't even see those schlubs under Orcus.

By the way the wiki page for Mane has a quotation that ties it all together:

“Have no pity for this damnable wretch. Bloody thing could grow up to be a demon lord one day.”
— Emirikol the Chaotic[1]

So I learned a new bit of demon lore I guess!

Remove ads