• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 5e Aasimar are in the Players Handbook − what should the flavor be?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The Aasimar − here Awsimar − are a species of life in the 2024 Players Handbook. They are something like playable angels.

The angels are kinda like sky elves, and viceversa. Luminosity is useful visual cue for Awsimar, glowing like the daylight of the sky, literally able to glow in the dark. Hence an aura of light around the body. Possibly the CG Awsimar actually are Elves, the Eladrin of Arborea.

I am unsure how to make the Awsimar story "cool".

I would probably respell the name as Awsimar, to prevent "assy mar" giggles.

In my eyes, the following are less cool.

The "conservative" religious version of some angels tends to be unappealing − either too sexist, homophobic, dictatorship supporting, etcetera.

The Lawful Stupid Paladin ethics are unappealing.

The elevator-music goody-two-shoes is boring.

The fallen angel, including the angel becoming flesh, is a tired trope. A flavor that rejects what Aasimar culture is, offers less information about what that culture actually is. Also, the angels as flesh, sex with angels, and misguided attempts to return to the Garden of Eden come with objections from various reallife religions.

So, I know what I dont. I am less sure what I do want.

Awsimar are a "kind" of angel − an Astral Construct made out of thought is cool. They are actually information structures.

Their mind maintains a personal connection with the Astral Plane and the Positive Energy that the multiverse is made out of.

Perhaps their "bodies" in the Material Plane are made out of a Force, similar to a temporary summoning spell. Actually, they lack flesh.

Each Awsimar comes into existence to fulfill a certain mission. The player can decide what this mission is for ones own character.

The player can choose almost any kind of personal appearance for ones own character. Some will want the "pretty" character (traditional angelic iconography), some want Eladrin Elves, some will want the "furry" character with animal head or features (from the GCG plane Beastland). All are ok personal preferences, and doable as individual characters. Whatever their appearance, their luminosity signals the identity of their species.

Last edited:

Let's say I imagine aasimars like Disney princess with armour, and suffering syndrome of the tall puppies. They are like the firstborn or older brother taking care younger slibing. Somebody would say aasimars are dumb, but that was said by a tielfling who bullied other children at school and an aasimar didn't allow it.

Kurotowa

Legend
If you're going to have a non-human character, it should be part of their story.

Visually they should be immediately identifiable as their species, with an emphasis on being both distinctive and easily cast as a compelling character. That might mean being badass, sexy, cute, intimidating, or whatever other attribute the player wants to focus on. Not every species can cover every option equally well, but there should be at least a few that are strong points.

Narratively they should have a clear thematic role. The player can decide to lean into that role or play against type, but they are starting in relation to that point so it needs to be well established. Some species like elves and dwarves are well defined in popular culture. Some, like tieflings and dragonborn, are player friendly versions of popular monster types. And some like orcs are undergoing a slow mutation under influence from other media sources. But where ever it comes from, it should be clear.

Right now, Aasimar fail both tests. They're not visually identifiable unless it's the very short period where their wings are out, and their narrative starting point is poorly defined. No one knows what to do with "I was born with goodness in my blood, but it's not even really a compulsion because free will is a virtue so it doesn't impair mine" as a character. They're not tied to any specific and popular monster type, and they don't have a clear role to play into or against.

While they need a lot of work, I'm honestly not sure how much amateur design work I want to do. That just sets expectations, and it's a near certainty that I'll guess wrong. If I go big, the Revised PHB version will be conservative. If I go small, the Revised PHB will reinvent them as much as 4e did tieflings. So for once, maybe I don't want to speculate. Maybe it's better to just sit back and wait for the official preview.

Horwath

Legend
1st off; I would make it a 1st level background feat so different ancestries can have different Aasimars and not just have all humanoids have completely the same.

1st level feat ONLY.
Aasimar Legacy:

Gain darkvision 60ft or improve your darkvision by 50ft

gain Light cantrip

gain resistance to necrotic and radiant damage

gain Healing hands:
Bonus action, heal touched creature for amount equal to your proficiency bonus. You can do this a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per long rest

4th level feat:
Celestial revelation, Requires Aasimar Legacy,
+1 ASI
Gain Celestial revelation, one of 3 options. You can use it once per long rest.
You gain Daylight spell, you can use it once per long rest.

then for flavor you can be chosen by the gods or your pregnant mother might have been healed by some celestial or very powerful healing magic or breaking the 1st level only rule, this feat might be granted as a boon for completing some quest given by deity or powerful celestial.

I'd like aasimar to have various options for subspecies and appearance, to mirror the tieflings. Options for basis on any of the three main upper planes, + the shadow based fallen aasimar.

Apearancewise, they should be allowed a ton of variation. Bronze statue people, animal headed people with feathered/furred arms and legs, multi eyed eldritch horrors, christian angel people, and 'human but a bit sparkly' should all be supported.

And then bring in a tiefling version of fallen aasimar. A fey based trickster tiefling feels like it would definitely be popular with how beloved Jester is.

Lorewise, as planetouched I want them to be able to vary a ton as well. Any plausible reason for their celestial connection should be good, from 'daddy got a lil too close to an angel' to 'celestial construct made of energy from the upper planes, to 'reincarnated soul from elysium sent back to the material plane'. Or even 'I saw a glowing rock and it looked tasty'.

Planetouched of all kinds have so much potential for varied backstories, and taking that away or limiting it seems like a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Genas

Villager
I'd like aasimar to have various options for subspecies and appearance, to mirror the tieflings. Options for basis on any of the three main upper planes, + the shadow based fallen aasimar.

Apearancewise, they should be allowed a ton of variation. Bronze statue people, animal headed people with feathered/furred arms and legs, multi eyed eldritch horrors, christian angel people, and 'human but a bit sparkly' should all be supported.

And then bring in a tiefling version of fallen aasimar. A fey based trickster tiefling feels like it would definitely be popular with how beloved Jester is.

Lorewise, as planetouched I want them to be able to vary a ton as well. Any plausible reason for their celestial connection should be good, from 'daddy got a lil too close to an angel' to 'celestial construct made of energy from the upper planes, to 'reincarnated soul from elysium sent back to the material plane'. Or even 'I saw a glowing rock and it looked tasty'.

Planetouched of all kinds have so much potential for varied backstories, and taking that away or limiting it seems like a terrible idea.
Have you considered collaborating with writers and artists to develop a comprehensive guide or supplement that expands the options for aasimar and tiefling subspecies and appearances? It sounds like you have a clear vision for the diversity and lore behind these planetouched beings, and a well-crafted guide could be a fantastic resource for players and game masters alike. Are there specific themes or mechanics you would like to explore further in such a project?

So far Exalted Aasimar ones that look liked Celestial Elves, Lillend, Ausuras, Empyreans, and if you want to go weird ones descended from Pegasi and Unicorns (akward to explain that ancestory). Maybe Firemane Angels too.

Heavenly would look like Aasimon Angels and Archons.

Idyllic would look like Guardinals and other more neutral Good celestials.

and if you want to go weird ones descended from Pegasi and Unicorns (akward to explain that ancestory).

Magical mishap?
Amalthea.jpg

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Right now, Aasimar fail both tests. They're not visually identifiable unless it's the very short period where their wings are out, and their narrative starting point is poorly defined. No one knows what to do with "I was born with goodness in my blood, but it's not even really a compulsion because free will is a virtue so it doesn't impair mine" as a character. They're not tied to any specific and popular monster type, and they don't have a clear role to play into or against.
Current Aasimar lore clearly includes non-human traits that are identifiable as such -
Metallic freckles, luminous eyes, a shadow that's a different color, a halo, rainbow-gleaming skin.

Remove ads